Transitional Housing

What is Transitional Housing?

Transitional Housing is a goal-oriented housing program for women and women with children who are homeless for any reason. Housing is offered in two and three bedroom apartments.  Program goals include employment and permanent housing.  


How much does Transitional Housing cost?

Rent is thirty percent of the participant’s gross income.  An income is NOT required to enter the program. 


How long may I live in the Transitional Housing Program?

A Transitional Housing resident may reside in the program for six months to twenty-four months.


Who is eligible to apply for Transitional Housing?

  • The applicant must be a woman or a woman with children who is homeless according to the HUD definition of homelessness. Follow this link for the HUD – McKinney-Vento Act definition of homelessness.
  • The applicant must be drug and alcohol free.  This may include a woman who has been active in recovery for three months or longer. 
  • The applicant must be capable of living independently in a group setting.
  • The applicant must be willing to work consistently on self-sufficiency goals.


How do I apply?

Fill out an application and mail it, fax it or hand deliver it to the YWCA of Greater Harrisburg. Follow this link for the Program Application and procedures.


What other forms do I need?

All applicants must have a letter of referral/recommendation from a case manager of the referring agency on agency letterhead. Follow this link for a referral/recommendation template.

Click here to read the HEARTH Act definition of homelessness.

All Transitional residents must present a discharge summary on the referring agency’s letterhead to the property manager when the lease is signed.  The discharge date must be the same day as the day the lease is dated. Follow this link to the discharge summary template.

(Note:  If the applicant does not fit any of the categories of homelessness presented by the Transitional Housing discharge summary, please go to the Bridge Housing section and see if the applicant falls under any of the HAP definitions for homeless)


Who should I contact if I have any questions?

If you have any questions about Transitional Housing, contact Iris Fuentes  or call (717) 234-7931.

If you have any comments or feedback regarding the ease or difficulty of this online application process, contact Julia Hoskins. or call (717) 234-7931.

glqxz9283 sfy39587stf02 mnesdcuix8