Section 8 or Single Room Occupancy (SRO)
What is SRO?
Single Room Occupancy (SRO) is a Section 8 program offered to single, homeless women at the YWCA since the early 1900s. It is considered permanent housing. Residents have a private single room with a shared kitchen and bath.
How much does SRO cost?
Rent is 30 percent of the participant’s gross income up to $330 a month. An income is NOT required to enter the program. Room rental includes utilities.
How long may I live in SRO?
There is no predetermined time limit. An SRO resident may reside in the program for as long as she abides by the program rules and pays her rent.
Who is eligible to apply for SRO?
- The applicant must be a single woman who is homeless according to the HUD definition of homelessness. Follow this link for the HUD – McKinney- Vento Act definition of homelessness.
- The applicant must be drug- and alcohol-free. This may include a woman who has been active in recovery for six months or longer.
- The applicant must be capable of living independently in a group setting.
- The applicant requires little or no case management.
- The applicant must meet income guidelines.
How do I apply?
Fill out an application and mail it, fax it or hand deliver it to the YWCA Greater Harrisburg. Follow this link for the Program Application and procedures.
What other forms do I need?
All applicants must have a letter of referral/recommendation from a case manager of the referring agency on agency letterhead. Follow this link for a referral/recommendation template.
All SRO residents must present a discharge summary on the referring agency’s letterhead to the property manager when the lease is signed. The discharge date must be the same day as the day the lease is dated. Follow this link to the discharge summary template.
Who should I contact if I have any questions?
If you have any questions about SRO Housing, contact Adlih Leon at email@example.com or call (717) 234-7931.
If you have any comments or feedback regarding the ease or difficulty of this online application process, please contact Julia Hoskins at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (717)234-7931.